WHAT TO EXPECT ON YOUR FIRST VISIT
As with any doctor’s visit, you’ll start with some new patient paperwork. We’ll discuss your concerns and expectations as well as have the chance to ask any questions you may have. We will perform a physical examination and most likely take a few x-rays to confirm the best approach for your individual circumstances. Then, together, we’ll come up with a plan of action that will begin when you are completely satisfied and ready to move forward.
As with any medical office, there is some paperwork you’ll need to complete on your first fist. If you’d like to get that out of the way before you arrive, click the office (below) where you scheduled your appointment, and fill out your online form for that office:
Your other option, of course, is you can just fill out your paperwork when you arrive. The paperwork provides us with general information about you, your health history, and your current condition.
Next, you will meet with the doctor to get comfortable with how we will approach your care. You will ask any questions you may have, and discuss your health-related problems, concerns, and potential treatment options.
History and Examination
In order to determine the best course of action, the doctor will ask you various questions related to your condition, followed by a few simple tests to help identify the specific source of your pain and/or immobility.
It’s possible your specific condition may require us to take x-rays – either to rule out more serious conditions, or assist us in developing the most effective treatment plan for you. We do x-rays right in the office. It’s not common, but if more detailed imaging is appropriate, such as an MRI or CT scan, we will refer you to a hospital or imaging center. They will then call you directly to arrange a time for that appointment.
Same Day Treatment
Once we’ve agreed on a care plan, we will start your treatment, which may include skeletal adjustments, physical therapies, and/or soft tissue therapies. Some common therapies we use to compliment your adjustment(s) are:
- Traction: Gentle stretching of your spine. Among other benefits, this improves joint mobility, relieves muscle spasm and reduces disc compression forces.
- Cryotherapy: Application of cold through ice packs which decreases edema, inflammation and pain in tissues.
- Heat Therapy: Application of heat through hot packs which improves range of motion, increases local metabolism and alleviates pain.
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation: Electrical waves used to relax tense muscles, stimulates local metabolism, fosters motor function and alleviates inflammation and modulates pain.
- Ultrasound: Sound-wave therapy that reduces edema, muscular adhesions, and trigger points; decreases calcium deposits; stimulates local metabolism; and alleviates pain.
Schedule Your Next Appointment
Your personal treatment plan and options for the best care of your condition will be discussed at the end of your appointment. Everyone responds differently to treatment, and therefore this plan is customized to fit your specific needs. It is based solely on the examination and imaging study findings, in order to get your health back on track as quickly, effectively and responsibly as possible.